Schaafsma - gevonden

algemene vragen over genealogisch onderzoek bij Tresoar
Plaats reactie
John Terpstra

Schaafsma - gevonden

Bericht door John Terpstra » woensdag 30 mar 2011 3:26 pm

As I am not fluent in Dutch I have a translation question;

In the Schaafsma genealogy book; Totaaloverzicht van de geslachten Schaafsma-Lenes en Sinnema-de Boer, page 46
IX-bx Henricus Poelmann ook genaamd Polmann, geboren rond 1675 in Voltlage Duitsland. Henricus is getrouwd
op 16 september 1700 voor de kerk (rooms-katholiek), op ongeveer 25-jarige leeftijd met Maria Alberts
(ongeveer 20 jaar oud), geboren rond 1680. Uit dit huwelijk:

1 Anna Polmann ook genaamd Anna Poelmann, geboren op 7 juni 1704 in Voltlage Kreis Lingen (roomskatholiek),
volgt onder X-cd, blz. 76.
2 Maria Poelmann, geboren op 22 september 1706 in Voltlage Duitsland, gedoopt op 22 september 1706
aldaar (rooms-katholiek).
3 Elizabeth Adelheid, geboren op 29 maart 1709 in Voltlage Duitsland (rooms-katholiek).
4 Catharina, geboren op 19 augustus 1715 (rooms-katholiek).
5 Johann Herman Poelmann, gevonden op 26 februari 1722 in Voltlage Duitsland, gedoopt op 26 februari
1722 aldaar (rooms-katholiek).
... gevonden !
I understand this to mean that the child Johann Herman was "found" and not the son of Henricus Poelmann x Maria Alberts.
Possibly he was the child of one of their underage daughters, Anna or Maria ?? Or maybe he was the son of another close relative ??
Does this dutch word, gevonden possibly have another meaning in this context?
Thank you for your help and interest.

Greetings from Canada,
John Terpstra

JohanV

Re: Schaafsma - gevonden

Bericht door JohanV » vrijdag 8 apr 2011 1:53 pm

Hello John,

I did read your question about Johann Hermann Poelmann. Your question was what the author of the book meant by using the word 'gevonden' in this text:
IX-bx Henricus Poelmann ook genaamd Polmann, geboren rond 1675 in Voltlage Duitsland. Henricus is getrouwd op 16 september 1700 voor de kerk (rooms-katholiek), op ongeveer 25-jarige leeftijd met Maria Alberts (ongeveer 20 jaar oud), geboren rond 1680. Uit dit huwelijk:

(...)
5 Johann Herman Poelmann, gevonden op 26 februari 1722 in Voltlage Duitsland, gedoopt op 26 februari 1722 aldaar (rooms-katholiek).

I am not the author of the book. Neither do I know the genealogy of the Schaafsma's. I will give a try to answer your question.

Looking at the text, the author apparently found out that Johann Hermann Poelmann was an abandoned child. So he used the word 'gevonden' to make this clear. The Dutch word 'gevonden' means in his text 'aangetroffen', in English you would say 'found' or 'discovered'. What the author meant to say was that the baby was discovered on 26 February 1722 after someone had abandoned him. This seems to be the most logical explanation.

Greetings,
Johan
Laatst gewijzigd door JohanV op woensdag 13 apr 2011 7:17 pm, 3 keer totaal gewijzigd.

Margreet Huisman

Bericht door Margreet Huisman » vrijdag 8 apr 2011 7:13 pm

Hi both,

I don't think it means a found child.
From my memory the word 'found' when Schaafsma uses it - just means
he found/saw a name - on a particular date - in a particular book.

I'm not familiar with the german books,
but I know from other regions sometimes there is only the child (but with a last name so you can link them)
or sometimes there's only the father.

I guess he slightly hesitates whether there was an unknown second marriage and therefore another mother - maybe,
because of the gap between 1715 and 1722.

I can also mean - he first sought and found/saw Johann Poelmann
and later found the marriage under Pollman - and the brothers and sisters -
or just forgot to wipe out the word 'found' from his to-do list.

The google dictionary gives on 'aantreffen' :
1. werkwoord
1. find
2. encounter
3. see
4. meet
5. catch out

greetings Margreet

John Terpstra

Bericht door John Terpstra » woensdag 13 apr 2011 10:34 pm

Johan and Magreet,

Thank you for your reply, as I thought there are several possible explanations of the use of the word "gevonden".

Greetings from Canada
John Terpstra

Plaats reactie