Preparation for a visit to the Tresoar reading room

Algemene vragen en nieuws over onderzoek bij Tresoar
Plaats reactie
Aaron

Preparation for a visit to the Tresoar reading room

Bericht door Aaron » woensdag 12 nov 2014 3:42 pm

I would like to visit the Tresoar reading room early in the new year and have a couple of questions.

What do I need to bring with me to create copies of documents? Is it possible to scan pages myself and then forward them home by email? Or for scans should I bring a USB flash drive to store them on? If scans are not possible, may I take photographs of pages with my digital camera?

Is there an online database of records available in the Tresoar library? I would prefer to compile a list of the documents (with library catalogue numbers) I wish to browse through before visiting to save time. (EDIT: I found the Archievenoverzicht Tresoar page I need at http://www.archieven.nl/nl/zoeken?mivas ... iview=inv2)

I have couple of specific questions:-
Are there any extant records before 1809 equivalent to those of the notarial archives? -- in particular wills and the assignment of guardians for orphaned children.
In the 1790s did the Frisian or national government (or Catholic church) keep any sort of record of immigrants - specifically immigrants from the various German states?

Thank you.

Andries Koornstra

Re: Preparation for a visit to the Tresoar reading room

Bericht door Andries Koornstra » dinsdag 18 nov 2014 12:36 pm

Dear Aaron,

I have waited a week before answering you. I thought the hosts might think it was a question for them.

As far as I know there are no scans (other than these online) to obtain, so bring your camera!

The answers to the second part you found out yourself, so I skip that item.

For "notarial like" business in the period before 1811 the "Nedergerecht" archives provide the best records to try. Central registration of wills are scarce (they just gave the papers to the people and kept no copies for reference). "Orphan business" you'll find in "weesboeken" and "authorisatieboeken." Real estate transactions can be found in "proclamatieboeken" and "registers van koopbrieven." I recommend also "hypotheekboeken" for registrations of loans.

There are no registers of immigrants in the period you mention. You can try curch registrations ("lidmatenboeken").

Always ask the staff for indexes. Volunteers have made quita a few of these!

Yours,

Andries.

Aaron

Bericht door Aaron » donderdag 20 nov 2014 10:02 am

Thank you Andries. Your outline of the early notarial-like records was exactly what I was looking for.

I don't suppose you (or anyone else) knows if an index or database of old Frisian painted portraits has ever been compiled.

Stoner

Bericht door Stoner » donderdag 27 nov 2014 4:20 pm

On the supposition in your last message I can pay your attention to the RKD. The RKD (Rijksbureau voor Kunsthistorische Documentatie/Netherlands Institute for Art History) is the biggest art-historical information centre in the Netherlands. Parts of their collections can be accessed via online databases, e.g. the portraits via https://rkd.nl/nl/info/rkdportraits.

Plaats reactie